Wedding celebration in a castle or palace.
Here you can find all the castles and palaces where you can celebrate your wedding.
Castle-Palace of the Fernández de Heredia family, XIV century (Mediterranean Gothic style).
The largest castle you can imagine.
Mora de Rubielos Castle is a representative building of the Mediterranean Gothic style situated in the highest part of the town, on a rocky hill.
The Castle is a solid stone construction built on an irregular, quadrangular ground plan with four fortified towers, a porticoed parade ground and a cloister gallery. It covers an area of 4,300 sq m (67 by 65 m). The Castle can be accessed through a zig-zag ramp with loopholes (long narrow windows through which arrows could be fired against attackers) along its length, which reveal the castle’s former defensive function. After going through the gate, a slight slope with some steps leads us to:
Porticoed parade ground (cloister when the building was used as a convent). It covers an area of 1,400 sq m (38 by 37 m). Its ground plan is a slightly irregular square, surrounded by pointed arches of different sizes. Some of the capitals are decorated with animals or monsters, but they are badly damaged.
Stables. They are in the basement that can be accessed through an oblique arch next to the angle formed by the walls, going down a slight slope with steps which once was a dirt slope. At the bottom, we get to a large space where there used to be troughs.
Stonemasons’ marks: These can still be seen engraved on some of the keystones that form the transverse arches situated closer to the entrance, as well as in some other rooms of the castle. They are the “signature” of the stonemasons who shaped these stones.
Great dining room or multi-purpose room, depending on whether it was a time of peace or war at the castle, something quite common in medieval times.
Antechamber, which could have possibly been used as an armoury, a scriptorium or a dressing room. Nowadays, this room hosts part of the Ethnographic Museum, where you can see different pieces which have been obtained in Mora de Rubielos.
Main bedroom in the castle of the Fernández de Heredia family. This chamber is inside the east tower. The walls are very thick here, something that can be appreciated in the thickness of the window, as well as in the reinforced ceiling, with twice as many beams as normally needed.
The dungeon. It used to be a high security prison. The Great Stairway, Outside tower and gate, Spiral Staircase, The Sacristy (when the castle was used as a convent), The Great Hall (with an area of 284 sq m), The Well, First and Second Level Basements, The Burial Crypt, The Crypt and The Chapel.
The Castle was awarded the status of National Monument in 1931 and Mora de Rubielos was declared a national heritage site in 1978. Restoration works in the castle began in 1972 with the removal of debris and the cleaning and consolidation of arches and structures.
- Download the Audioguide App from your mobile device by clicking the following icon
The Hospital de San Juan Bautista, better known as Hospital Tavera, was built in the 16th century with a double function: a charitable one for being a hospital “for those afflicted by different illnesses” and a sepulchral one, for being a mausoleum for its founder, Cardinal Juan Pardo Tavera, Archbishop of Toledo, Inquisitor General, Governor of Castilla and Governor of the Kingdom in the absence of the Emperor.
Its palatial appearance is due to its first architect Alonso de Covarrubias, Senior Master of the Main Cathedral and Royal Architect who in order to come up with a new concept for a hospital modelled it on the large Roman private double patio house described by Vitruvio.
Its construction, started in 1540, the architectural and urban renewal program that the humanist circles in the Court of Emperor Charles V designed in order to match the image of Toledo with its status as Imperial capital city. This was depicted years later by El Greco in his famous "View of Toledo" in which this Hospital is reversely situated in the foreground, floating on a cloud, this way the painter helped in the furnishing of the building.
The outlandish sum of half a million ducats that had already been spent in 1599, according to the Hospital administrator, Pedro Salazar de Mendoza, when there was still much of the church to build makes it one of the most splendid constructions of the period, perhaps only comparable, according to the art historian, Fernando Marias, to the monastery of San Lorenzo del Escorial.
The Castle of the Almedina of Baena is temporarily closed due to the emergency situation caused by Covid-19.
The origin of the current location of the town of Baena must be located in an Arab hisn (castle) named Bayyana that already appears in the sources in connection with the Muladi rebellion of Umar ibn Hafsun in the second half of the 9th century. After the loss of the military function of the fortress, it became the palace of the Dukes of Sessa, lords of the town, undergoing important reforms throughout the 15th and 16th centuries.
The building has undergone various reforms throughout history, among which the adequacy of the parade ground as a drinking water reservoir for the municipality in the 20th century should be highlighted. Recently, and thanks to the determined commitment of the Baena City Council and the financial support of the Government of Spain, through the Cultural 1%, an important recovery and value project has been carried out to make it accessible: they have recovered several towers among which stands out the Torre del Homenaje called de las Arqueras or de las Cinco Esquinas , several canvases on the wall and the so‐called Puerta del Campo, located on the eastern flank.
The archaeological tasks that were carried out in support of the restoration and which consisted of paramental analyzes and the opening of boreholes allowed documenting a series of structures (walls and towers) made of Almohad‐era rammed earth that were later embedded and lined by walls. Of masonry throughout the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, masking the original fortress, although it should not have changed much in what refers to its original plan. It is worth nothing the presence of an imposing underground enclosure, like an alijbe, from the late medieval period and with a square floor plan, built on two discharge arches.
The current access is through the door located in the Plaza de Palacio from which you reach a hall at the southern end of which is the Torre del Homenaje staircase, which has several floors and a terrace that constitutes a unique viewpoint of the city and its surroundings. At the opposite end of this door is the Puerta del Campo, which would be the original entrance to the castle that has been recovered along with the attached tower called Los Cascabeles.
Among the existing towers it is worth highlighting the Tower of Secrets located in the southeast corner of the castle. In the central area of the fortress, in what would be the parade ground, the town's water tanks are located, built between the years 1927 and 1959, notably altering the appearance of the building, but which have been recovered for tourist use‐ cultural.
Located in the Sierra de Gredos, barely 90km from Madrid, the castle of La Adrada has dominated the landscape of the Tiétar Valley since the 14th century. Built on a Gothic church dated 1250 which, in turn, seems to have been built on another castle of Roman origin, the castle gains in relevance from the 14th century with the designation of La Adrada as Villa (township). It was a temporary residence of Enrique III, Juan II, Enrique IV and the Catholic Monarchs (Fernando and Isabel), expanding in size and in facilities that guaranteed better security, such as the case of ts walls until, from the 19th century onwards, it begins to fall into ruins. The castle was victim to plunder from locals and foreigners alike. It remained in that state until the end of the 20th century, at which time, it was transferred to La Adrada Town Hall and with the support of various institutions, it was restored and began being open to the public in 2004.
Since then and to date, the castle of La Adrada has recovered use and life. With a €3 entrance fee, reduced for groups and free entrance on Wednesdays, visitors can stroll through the castle and its walls, learn about its history through a short film, and visit the Tiétar Valley Historical Interpretation Center. This Interpretation Center explains the origins and traditions of the many beautiful villages that make up the Tiétar Valley, its most representative mountains and other curiosities of the area.
But the castle is not limited to only being a monument worthhy to be seen and admired, but rather it is also a public building that is being used for many cultural and social events including weddings.
Since 2004, the Castle has been the epicenter of the La Adrada Medieval Fair with archery tournaments, madrigal concerts, and theatratrical performances.
Since 2018, it has also been the main stage of the Tiétar Summer Festival - La Adrada festival - hosting an average of 15 performances a year. Artists such as Carlos Núñez, Bebe, Paco Ibáñez, Luar Na Lubre, Hevia ... have performed on this stage which is located in the original apse of the 13th century Gothic church.
Also, for more than five years, it has been one of the favorite set locations for film and television series recording studios such as Águila Roja, Reinas, El Ministerio del Tiempo, Isabel, El Cid…
In short, a very charming place ready to receive your visit.
The Marquis of Villena, Don Juan Pacheco, ordered it built in Mudejar Gothic style in 1456. He was trusted man of King Henry IV of Castile, and the most powerful lord in the kingdom at the time.
The star-shaped layout of the castle is one-of-a-kind, and its palatial interior decorated with luxurious Mudejar roofs in the halls and galleries, as well as the "medieval bestiary" sculpted in stone, are nonpareil in Spain. All this undeniably makes for one of the most emblematic castles in our country.
The castle has been perfectly preserved thanks to the efforts of its owners over the centuries, completed with the latest restoration. On this occasion, the Ducal House of Peñaranda and Montijo, descendants of the Marquis of Villena and owners of the Castle, have been supported by public institutions.
The Castle of Belmonte reopened its doors to the public in July 2010, offering the visitor a cultural tour throughout the history of this emblematic monument, all the way from the 15th century to the present. The cultural tour provides an audio guide in 4 languages (Spanish, English, French and Italian), an audio-visual room with a large-screen 12-minute projection as an introduction to the tour, and light and sound technology that make visitors travel to a different time.
Moreover, since August 2018, the largest historic-thematic park with real-scale siege machines in the world, Trebuchet Park, has been located at the foot of the fortress.
Throughout the tour, visitors can observe 40 siege machines in four different thematic areas: the Christian world, the Muslim world, the Eastern world and the Renaissance. Regarding the timeline, the artefacts in the first three spaces are from the 5th and 14th centuries, and the Renaissance area set in the 15th–16th century.
All of the machines have been tested and they work just as they did at the time, reconstructed with the same period materials. Historically rigorous, they used available documentation (miniatures, engravings, period texts, iconographic depictions and archaeological remains)
- Download the Audioguide App from your mobile device by clicking the following icon
The Castle of Almodóvar was built in the Arab period in the year 740. It received the name Almudawwar, which means the round, in honor of the shape of the land where it is settled.
It belonged to the Caliphate of Córdoba during the years of Abderramán III. When Al-Andalus was divided into different kingdoms independent of each other, known as the kingdoms of Taifas, the Castle belonged first to Seville’s kingdom and later to Carmona’s one and finally to Toledo’s kingdom.
In 1240, four years after the reconquest of Córdoba, the Castle was acquired by Fernando II “The Saint”, who rebuilt it and enlarged part of it.
During the reign of Peter I “El Cruel” or “El Justo”, the bastion reached one of its most splendid times, serving as a dwelling, prison and treasure chamber, thus establishing itself as a military function.
Among other personalities, the dungeons of the Castle of Almodóvar were occupied by D. Fadrique and Mrs. Juana de Lara.
It is in 1900, when its owner, D. Rafael Desmaissières and Farina, XII Count of Torralva, dedicates -for 36 years- his fortune and part of his life to rebuild the fortress.
- Download the Audioguide App from your mobile device by clicking the following icon
Infante Don Juan Manuel Palace was the first fortress of Belmonte ordered to be built by Don
Juan Manuel in the year 1323 on a previous Visigoth building. It was the birthplace in 1419 of
Don Juan Pacheco, first Villena, Marquis who ordered the construction of the current
The second Villena Marquis Don Diego Lopez Pacheco, turned it into a monastery for that
reason in 1499, he moved Santa Catalina de Sena nuns from Villa de la Alberca to Belmonte,
staying in the palace until 1960.
Among the walls of this building plenty of history is now our hotel, restaurant and spa,
with the most current facilities for your getaways
The history, tradition and culture of the place blend with the modernity, quality and comfort
of our hotel, a haven of tranquility where you will enjoy an unforgettable stay.
Discover the facilities of Infante Don Juan Manuel Palace Hotel and Spa and go back in time
from its facilities, completely rehabilitated while preserving the essence and inspiration of the
original architecture and history.
The Hotel has single, double, triple and family rooms (with capacity for up to five people). The Hotel has spacious suites for special events such as weddings. The rooms are large and have all the necessary amenities to enjoy a unique and relaxed
In addition, our walls have lots of history, in many rooms you can see remains of the original
building, rehabilitated forming the historic building mixed with modern elements, make a very
cozy and comfortable mix.
Also the views from the rooms are towards the Belmonte Castle on the one hand, and the
Collegiate on the other. A view with a history that is hard to forget.
We have 39 rooms equipped with private bathroom, shower, hairdryer, safe, heating and air
conditioning, as well as TV and WIFI. They are also equipped with piped music to complete the
An extra addition that our accommodation has is the SPA. On it you can enjoy a thermal circuit,
as well as a sauna and Turkish bath. Without forgetting an extensive menu of aesthetic
treatments and massages to relax.
Also available for the summer season, an outdoor pool with solarium, where you can enjoy anice swim with the tranquility that the environment gives.
Accommodation in different types of regime.
Prices 70 – 225 €
The accommodation can be completed with different breakfast, lunch and dinner.
You can also choose a spa session, massages and different aesthetic treatments.
Castillo de Láchar, declared as a Monument of Cultural Interest, holds an interesting history. Two years ago was opened to the public visits for first time.
It’s located in La Vega de Granada, in the village of Láchar. Only 15 minutes drive from Granada city center, 5 minutes drive from the Granada – Jaén Airport and 60 minutes drive from Málaga. Based in the main street of the municipality, where there are also some restaurants, tapas bar and shops nearby.
From its first opening to the public in 2017, it’s receiving a great recognition. This fact, suprises to all the public organisations and it’s helping the monument to become in one of the “must-see” in the province of Granada.
Castillo de Láchar has its own tourist informants team. They will guide the visitors during the route through the castle. All the tourist products we offer have a guided tour.
The most ancient evidences we have from Castillo de Láchar’s history are from the 14th Century, when a vigilance tower is built in order to protect the Nasrid lands located in Láchar. When the Catholic Kings conquest these lands, they decide to offer them to Cañaveral’s family, very influent in that times. They made some modificactions in the structure of the tower. After some generations until reach the 19th Century, Julio Quesada Cañaveral decides to extend the enclosure and built the Palace area, linked to the rest of the structure. As he was a very important person, Julio it’s declared as “Duque de San Pedro de Galatino y Grande de España”, it’s when the castle-palace lives its great splendeur moments. Some important personalities visited the castle during this period, as the painter Joaquín Sorolla, Marquis of Viana or even King Alfonso XIII, who slept in the palace in many ocassions.
The castle was constructed in an Alhambra or neo-arab style, plenty of ornament such as ceramic tiles and yeserías (typical plaster-works). There are also pieces of great value like Nasrid capitals from the 14th Century and woodcarving doors from the 16th Century. In addition, there is furniture with high artistic value. The castle has a very rich history with unique moments and important historic elements.
The Fortress of La Mota, in the province of Jaén surprises by being a natural watchtower in a sea of olive trees that houses the site of the city of Alcalá la Real until the 16th century. Currently the best preserved medieval urban group in Andalusia.
Its strategic location between the Alhambra of Granada and the Mosque of Cordoba houses the Interpretation Center Life in the Border, which reveals the importance in the history of Al-Andalus.
Qal'at Banu Said or Benzayde was his name from 713 to 1341, at which time Alfonso XI took it definitively and granted him the title of Royal, becoming a key, guard and defender of the Kingdoms of Castile against the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada, for 150 years.
Testimony of this definitive conquest is the Hidden City, a network of underground galleries, which had a major importance in the taking of the fortified city in the 14th century.
The Monumental Ensemble of the Fortaleza de la Mota retains its original urban layout and numerous vestiges of the medieval life system. Crossing its doors you will discover the elements of a fortified medieval city, such as the walls, towers and adarves, that together with the Alcazaba and the Military District of the city were part of the defensive system. Or its wineries, nevero, neighborhoods like El Bahondillo and palaces that have been here testimonies of another time so that you can contemplate them and transport you to a time of fusion of cultures and creeds. An audiovisual innovator in the Greater Abbey Church will thrill you and tell you his fascinating story.
Erected at the end of the 12th Century, the Castle of Olvera was part of the defensive system of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada until its takeover by Christian troops in 1327 would lead it to become an almost impassable stronghold of the Crown of Castile. Its strategic position, 623 metres above sea level, allowed them to see the border line of castles that separated the Muslim and Christian Spain. The medieval city would begin to form around it, surrounded by canvases of wall and towers that culminated in the citadel, and in which the mosque or the souk was located. At present, the castle has obvious Christian features in its construction, the result of the successive remodelling that it had to undergo since its capture by King Alfonso XI, who would end up granting the estate to the nobility, who became the owner of each and every good that was in it, including the castle.
In the year 1460, in exchange for 1,700,000 maravedis (medieval Spanish coins) the Villa of Olvera passed hands from the Stúniga to the Girón, one of whose members, Pedro Téllez Girón, would receive the title of Duke of Osuna, in the year 1562, from King Felipe II. It was as a result of this that the town of Olvera and its Castle became dependent on this ducal house for more than 300 years.
The castle, which was declared an item of Cultural Interest in 1985, reveals an irregular floor adapted to the form of the cliff where it sits. The manmade construction is fully integrated with the natural landscape, descending on spectacular slopes to this rock formation.
From the castle of Olvera you have a 360-degree viewpoint of the scenic surroundings. To the north it is possible to catch a glimpse of the Sierra de las Harinas mountain, the Salado stream and the Castillo del Hierro castle, in the Sevillian town of Pruna. To the east, the horizon is outlined by the Peñón de Zapapaldar Rock and the Sierra Blanquilla mountain, as well as the depressions of the north of the province of Málaga. In the south, the towns of Alcalá del Valle and Setenil de las Bodegas are visible, as well as the elevation of the Malaver mountain. And to the western side are the town of El Gastor, the Peñón de Lagarín Rock, the Castle of Zahara de la Sierra and the Sierra de Líjar mountain, whose background is outlined by the Sierra de Grazalema mountain range. In addition, breaking the horizon is the elevation of Peñón de Zaframagón Rock, declared a Natural Reserve and an indisputable icon of the Sierra Greenway.
The Castle of Lorca, declared BIC (Heritage of Cultural Interest), was a defensive bastion during centuries (in the Middle Ages), on the frontier between the Christian kingdom of Murcia and the Nazarí kingdom of Granada. After some years of work for its consolidation and rehabilitation, it opened its doors in 2003 and can be visited every day of the year, finding different proposals, exhibitions, workshops for children, guided tours, extraordinary season activities, in short, a space to learn the History and Culture of Lorca.
The Castle is a symbol for all the inhabitants of Lorca. From its privileged location, in the Guadalentín valley, it has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, which has made it an exceptional archaeological site to know the past, from Prehistory to the present.
The current appearance of the Castle of Lorca is the result of the continuous changes that the different cultures have been carrying out in its 52,000 m² of extension. Thanks to archaeology we know the Argaric burials of 3.500 years and the Roman vestiges that hide its subsoil. Nevertheless, the definitive configuration of the Castle took place in the Middle Ages, a period during which most of the preserved remains correspond. Synagogue and a Jewish quarter from the 15th century are the most recent discovery that can be visited every day of the year.
Depending on the season you can do different activities that complement the cultural visit like music, gastronomy... There are also offers for different types of visitors: families with children, schoolchildren, groups and general public. Pets are welcome. The Castle is an area to learn and have fun at the same time.
Loarre Castle is the oldest Romanesque castle and best preserved in Europe. It´s located on the natural border between Ebro river valley and the mountain range of Pyrenees, the castle dominates the Hoya de Huesca landscape from a cliff at 1070 m. above sea level.
The castle was built during the XI century in different stages that were meeting the different needs.
The first phase begins around the year 1020 by the great King of Sancho Sancho el Mayor, who in his eagerness to protect the Pyrenean counties from the Muslim attacks, takes advantage of the mountains of the Huesca pre-Pyrenees to install a series of forts that will create an authentic fortified border, of which Loarre will be one of its last links. Of this first phase the two main towers and the Romanesque chapel of Santa María stand out. The second phase is initiated by his grandson, the second king of Aragon Sancho Ramírez, around 1071, who with the support of the Holy See decided to surround the old fortress of his grandfather, which was still a frontier, with a large monastery that will house a order of Augustinian canons, uniting in Loarre the sword and the cross, the military and the monastic function. Of this phase highlights the impressive Church of San Pedro, a unique jewel of Romanesque architecture crowned by a spectacular dome.
Supported by the Pope, Sancho Ramirez surrounded the old castle of his grandfather with a great monastery for an order of Agustinian Canons monks, joining the cross and the sword, the military and monastic function in the same building. The most prominent build of this phase is the impressive St. Peter’s church, a wonder of Romanesque architecture, crowned by a dome.
The last phase of construction will be delayed until the end of XIII century, and it is the wall marked by semicircular towers that runs over 170 m of perimeter, and that surrounded not only the fortress, but also a small town emerged under the castle, and that is the origin of the current Loarre. It will be already at the dawn of the Renaissance when such a great fortress is finally abandoned leaving its presence undaunted at the top of the Sierra de Loarre.
The castle-palace is rectangular in shape, adapting to the shapes of the hill on which it is built, dominating the town.
The bulk of the fortification is in the Gothic style with two construction phases differentiated in a somewhat diffuse way. A first raised under the patronage of Exímeno de Luna, bishop of Zaragoza and a second by Pedro López de Luna in the mid-fourteenth century.
All this part is built in ashlar stone. In addition, additions and reforms have been incorporated throughout its history, highlighting those carried out during the archbishoprics of Hernando de Aragón (16th century) and Agustín Lezo y Palomeque (18th century) in addition to the fortification work of the Carlist War. Regarding its artistic quality, we must highlight the purely Gothic chapel built by Pedro López de Luna and divided into several sections by some beautiful pointed arches.
It has, among other elements, a pulpit decorated with Gothic paintings and reliefs, a Mudejar paneling and a magnificently restored Mudejar floor. In that same room we can see five purely Gothic windows, four of them pointed. All have trilobed and quadruple-lobed decoration and are made of sandstone.
We must also highlight the Mudejar turret made of brick and a bread oven. The oldest part of the building and discovered after carrying out archaeological excavations is a tower and section of wall of Islamic origin. We find several heraldic elements from different times that have allowed us to date different construction phases. Regarding its origin we can say that there is evidence of being inhabited already in Roman times and of being a hisn in Islamic times.
It played a fundamental role in the conflict of the Aragonese unions at the end of the 13th century where it was taken by the Alagóns. From the fourteenth century it was the palace and refuge of the archbishops of Zaragoza where they spent long periods of time. It served as a hospital in the plague epidemic of the mid-seventeenth century and was besieged by Cabrera's troops in the Carlist Wars. In the last Civil War it served as a prison and was bombed by both the Italian army and the Luftwaffe in March 1938.
With more than 13 centuries of history, the Parador de Alarcón will transport you back to the Middle Ages with its historic features, especially the castle keep and its elegant red and orange textiles. Perched high atop the craggy Pico de los Hidalgos in a meander of the Júcar River, almost as if it were an eagle's nest, the Parador overlooks one of Spain's loveliest villages. Small and charming, Alarcón has been declared an Area of Artistic-Historical Importance due to its beauty and harmony. Encircled by a wall, it is located next to the reservoir of the same name. You will love the wetlands, dotted with small sandy beaches along the banks, pine woods, coves and giant rocks. You can also go sailing, windsurfing, canoeing and rowing.
The waters of the Júcar River are ideal for fishing. The river slows as it passes Alarcón, flowing through many delightful spots, and encircling and protecting the town's former fortress. Santa María Church is a must-see and features one of the best preserved Renaissance altarpieces. Castañeda Palace, the Alarcón Mural Painting Center for Contemporary Art, Don Juan Manuel Square and Santo Domingo de Silos Church are other sights you will want to visit.
Hiking through the Alarcón Gorge will take you to many beautiful locations. There are two wonderful options: a long-distance footpath following the route of the Júcar River, and a short-distance footpath that skirts Alarcón, offering lovely views.
180 km from Madrid and 170 km from Valencia, this is an ideal spot to spend a weekend and get away from it all. All you have to do is get out of the city and relax, Alarcón and our Parador will take care of the rest.
We are located in the municipality of Alcaudete, which is in the Comarca of the Sierra Sur of Jaén. Alcaudete is a prosperous land in olive groves, fruits and water. It was a strategic passing zone during the Middle Ages and the Arab domain, as it was on the road that went from Cordoba to Granada and border place for more than a hundred years, once conquered by Christians.
This make us to think about one thing: why is there a Castle in Alcaudete? It was the year 711 when the Muslims entered the Peninsula and began the conquest of what was called Al-Andalus, reaching the Duero’s and Ebro’s valleys. However, by the year 1030, their power got weaker and, because of that, Christian kings began an offensive to recover the conquered lands and protect the territory and its inhabitants. In that way they created a powerful defensive system to prevent the lands recovery by Muslims, based on a wide variety of large castles, watchtowers and fortresses, such as the Castillo of Alcaudete. Alcaudete was known in the ninth century as al-Qabdaq or al-Qibdaq, being a place of refuge for peasant populations in the area. To this aim, a fortress was built at the top of the hill, taking advantage of the steep slopes, rocky complexes and natural gorges for its defence. Thus, during the Almohad domain, a great wall was built around the urban core, as well as a fortress on the summit. All of that to protect in case of attack the inhabitants and soldiers of Alcaudete. Inside the fortress there was a tank that collected rainwater to survive and tents used as home, in order to live there and sleep.
Afterwards, the Castle of Alcaudete was part of the defence belt that King Ferdinand III The Holy entrusted for the protection of the western border of the kingdom of Jaen against the Nasrid kingdom of Granada. It was built between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. This Castle has had several stages throughout its life, which have impregnated its walls with legends and stories, memories and adventures, which have left their mark on its structure and which make the monumental complex possess a unique beauty that leaves no one indifferent to their visitors.
Fernando III and his son Alfonso X granted manors in the Kingdom of Jaén as payment for their help in the conquest of the Upper Guadalquivir Valley, and with the clear objective of serving as a protective belt against the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada. For this reason, Alcaudete was handed over to the Order of Calatrava in 1245. Hence, the castle was renamed Castillo Calatravo of Alcaudete.
The Castle of Alcaudete has had several stages throughout its history. When the Calatrava Order leaved, this land and the village became a manor zone, and the Castle was transformed into a private Palace, where the lords of Alcaudete who inhabited it placed the shields of the Cordoba and Montemayor family on the door. Currently these shields are so deteriorated that they hardly distinguish.
A short distance from Santiago de Compostela, on the Pontevedra border of the Ulla river valley, is Galicia’s most visited manor house, the palacio de Oca, also widely known as "The Generalife of the North" or the "Galician Versailles”. Comparing the stone and plant architecture of this monument with that of those abovementioned, widely known, allows us to highlight the uniqueness and importance of the most stately and best preserved of the Galician pazos (stately homes). Although built far from the Court, this comparison (despite been hyperbolic) reminds us aptly that its design evokes that of the Barroco court gardens.
According to the words used in 1945 by historian and academic Javier Sánchez Cantón in an effort to protect these gardens, the most outstanding aspect of this ensemble is the inextricable link between water, stone and vegetation which make this monument a masterpiece of architecture, engineering and gardening.
The early fort home was built by order of Álvaro de Oca in the middle of the 15th century and was lost shortly afterwards to the Miter of Compostela in the fights between the Galician nobility and the archbishop of Santiago. In 1564, it passed to King Felipe II who sold it to María de Neyra and thus it was passed down from generation to generation until the XVIII Duchess of Medinaceli who in 1978 donated it to the Casa Ducal de Medinaceli Foundation after its formation
It stands on a Celtiberian fort, and was built from the eleventh century attached to an angle of the wall. Its construction continued until the seventeenth century, so it has a mixture of architectural styles, but predominantly Gothic and Renaissance.
Some of the most famous architects of the time were involved in its construction: Hanequin of Brussels, Juan Guas or Juan de Álava, creator of the parade ground.
It is irregular in shape and covers a surface area of 1,025m2. Its parade ground stands out, as well as the 20m high keep, which connects with the eastern bay that housed one of the most valuable armouries in Spain. It is surrounded by an outdoor barbican, and connects with the castle's ancient hunting forest through a rammed earth wall. This forest is now a municipal park.
It was owned by royals such as Álvaro de Luna or Beltrán de la Cueva, and its most illustrious guests include the kings of Castile, such as Sancho IV, or his wife Doña María de Molina, who made up the courts of the kingdom in 1297, or Juan I and his wife Doña Leonor, who died in the castle. Also noteworthy are the painter Parcerisa, José de Espronceda, General Hugo and the Duke of Wellington.
In 1997 the Castillo Habitado (Inhabited Castle) was created, the first guided tour featuring a historical re-enactment in Spain. In addition to being a space for tourists, it is also a Secondary School, and headquarters of the Foundation of the House of Albuquerque, which stores one of the most important royal archives in the country
Valderrobres Castle is temporarily closed due to the emergency situation caused by Covid-19.
The Castle-Palace of Valderrobres is a Gothic work built between the 14th and 15th centuries by the archbishop of Zaragoza, feudal lord of the area, who used the castle as a temporary residence. It was built with the parish church during the same period and both buildings were united by a passage that allowed getting to the tribune built over a lateral chapel inside the church.
The set of buildings preside the town. We can get to the castle area through two different doors. The first one is located next to the church, and the other one is under the passage which communicates both buildings. Crossing those doors, we first arrive to the parade ground, which was originally surrounded by a wall.
The castle is an irregular polygonal ground plant building and It was built surrounding a rocky hill. The builders used the mountain rocks as a quarry and gained that way new space in each floor up to the last where still today you can see the top of the hill.
On the ground floor we can find the stables with the servant’s rooms. The main floor features the kitchen, the pantries, a necessary one, the great hall of the chimneys, the library and the private rooms of the archbishop. On the upper floors are the oil stores, galleries and granaries and finally the round passage flanked by battlements, merlons and towers.
The Castle of The Monclova is temporarily closed due to the emergency situation caused by Covid-19.
The castle of Monclova, which has its origin in the SXIV, is located on the city of Obulcula S.II b.c. It constitutes the last avatar of a secular population nucleus of the prehistoric, turdetana and roman epochs, and the perduration of the city in the form of farmstead through the Muslim domination, as the historians and geographers of antiquity affirm, in their repeated mentions. Its name of indigenous origin, is the diminutive of the other great Iberian city called Obulco, in Porcuna (Jaén).
In the year 1342, King Alfonso XI granted the castle of Monclova to his Admiral of the Sea Micer Egidio Bocanegra as a reward for the services rendered. In the sixteenth century these lands belonged to the family of La Vega until the death of the famous poet Garcilaso related to the House of Mendoza by marriage of Leonor de la Vega, with Don Iñigo Lopez de Mendoza, Marquis of Santillana.
On September 20, 1617, Mr. de la Monclova, Mr. Antonio Portocarrero and Enriquez de la Vega were awarded the title of Count of La Monclova and on May 5, 1706, the greatness of Spain. Already in the eighteenth century these lands fall to the Marquis of Ariza and then joins the house of the Duke of Infantado.
In the year 1910, Joaquín de Arteaga y Echagüe, XVII Duke of the Infantado rebuilt the castle.
At present, it has diversified its activity to welcome visitors and guests who wish to explore the charming residence, learn about its centennial history and enjoy this emblematic place.
The castle of La Monclova had a rectangular plan, and had rectangular towers, of which vestiges are preserved in the north and east angles. Although they were very remodeled with the later works, the oldest remains that are conserved of this castle date back to the XIV century, being these the tower of the Homage and three canvases of the walled enclosure. The keep is rectangular in shape, and has two overlapping chambers and a roof with a parapet and hooded battlements.
This tower must have been originally massive, although today it houses the main staircase of the palace. The entrance to the castle is made through a portico with a semicircular arch over columns and family shields in the spandrels. In a frieze can be read It is over 1668.
From the entrance you walk into a large patio porticoed on three sides with semicircular arches on columns and shields of the Order of Mercy in the spandrels. Today the chapel has an altarpiece of Castilian tendency of the sixteenth century, from the Castillo de Viñuelas, in Madrid, which was the property of the Duque del Infantado. The wooden doors are a sample of the size of the seventeenth century.
San Marcos Castle, located in El Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz, was built in the 13th century configured as a border fortress-church with the Nasrid kingdom of Granada under the reign of Alfonso X the Wise, who took the population of Alcanatif and integrated it into the kingdom of Castilla y León.
San Marcos Castle is built in a key place both strategic and spiritual. The oldest construction on this site dates from the Ist century; a Roman temple built in what was the highest point of Portus Gaditanus, a small fishing village dedicated mainly to obtaining salt and fishing in the bay.
This structure was marked by the different vicissitudes faced by the entire surrounding area such as the Visigoth invasion and the subsequent Arab conquest from North Africa, transforming the temple into a church and mosque respectively.
With the population increase experienced by the entire Andalusian Caliphate in the 10th century, the Alcanatif village was founded where Portus Gaditanus once stood and, erecting the mosque that today keeps this emblematic castle. It is precisely the structure of the mosque that first stands out inside the Castle: a temple of “Córdoba” tradition that uses the marble columns of the now disappeared Roman temple to support the roof and the vaults inside the building.
Highlights in the mosque not only the horseshoe arches that are distributed throughout the space, but the Mihrab located in the Quibla wall. Mihrab that has endured to this day surviving 7 centuries of Christian worship.
After the capture of Alcanatif by Alfonso X, it became part of the kingdom of Castilla y León under the name of "Santa María del Puerto" and the same monarch ordered not only the conversion of the mosque into a Christian church but the beginning of the works to turn it, also, into a fortress and border post with the Nasrid kingdom of Granada, giving it the name of "Castillo de San Marcos" in honor of the onomastics of the day of the conquest of Alcanatif, on April 25th.
Until the 14th century, the Castle and the village of Santa María del Puerto were part of the crown of Castilla until Luis de la Cerda, the first Duke of Medinaceli, was granted the duchy who owns the castle until the 19th century and under his orders the different works of the castle of extensions and adhesions that we can see today were made.
The most representative dates from the 15th century, a period in which the ducal house invests a good amount of resources in the population, also financing the construction of the city's Basilica.
Already in the 19th century the ownership of the castle passes to the town hall that manages to keep it barely carrying out reforms and reconstructions trying to seek its conservation. Today, it belongs to the Caballero Group that has managed to maintain successfully and in good condition this emblematic monument of El Puerto de Santa María.
The most distinctive element of the town is the “Alconchel Castle", also called today as “Miraflores Castle” because it is located on the hill of the same name. Nestled on top of the hill of the same name, dominates with its imposing presence all the territories of the environment. Of Arab origin, and rebuilt in the 12th century by the monarch Alfonso Enríquez, was later consolidated by the Templars, becoming one of the most important bastions of this order.
Originally it was composed of triple enclosure, reinforced the intermediate with cubes pointed towards the south. It is presided by a powerful homage tower, completing the whole a good yard of weapons, cisterns, dungeons, chapel and other dependencies of which are preserved different remains. Today it is inside the centre of interpretation of the fortifications of the Great Lake of Alqueva, it already has a unique space for conventions, congresses and exhibitions and prepares for the lodging.
From the historical point of view, it should be remembered that a Muslim enclave existed here, of which no trace remains. In the first place it was occupied by the Portuguese, late in the 12th century, in the time of Alfonso I, in 1166. It passed into Castilian hands a hundred years later, in 1264, and was given to the Templars first and to that of Alcántara later. The fortress is full of History of the struggles between the Kingdoms of Spain and Portugal.
Most of the bulk of the fortress is built with stones, with ashlars in the corners of the keep and masonry. The wood is used in a few places such as in ranguas bars, floors of the tower and possibly in the rake of the current entrance door and in the mechinales of the upper part of the north side of the tower.
The castle has not escaped the local heritage either and there are some local traditions that revolve around it. Despite being many of them exaggerated data, they turn out to be curious and worthy of being traced documentary.
Thus, in Alconchel it is often stated that a tunnel leads from the fortress to the parish church and another to the nearby Ermita de la Esperanza, indeed some castles have had mines or passageways that served as an escape in situations of siege, but in In this case at hand, it has not been possible to attest to the presence of said tunnels in any way. Of course, what is proven is that the presence of mines in castles was a serious detriment to it since in the same way that it could serve to escape, it could also serve to enter by enemies, with which the presence of them is almost ruled out.
This palace better known as Casa de Pilatos, is a harmonious combination of the Gothic-Mudejar Late Middle Ages tradition and Italian Renaissance innovations which was first introduced in Seville by the Enríquez de Ribera family, Adelantados Mayores of Andalusia , main representatives of the crown in Baja Andalucia and former owners of this Palace.
Located in the historic centre of Seville, the core zones of the building began to be built at the end of the 15th century and eventually halls, patios and gardens were added turning it into the largest private residential complex in the city, an ideal setting for the development of a new lifestyle and elite society in a city which had undergone a transformation into the richest imperial overseas metropolis ever known.
Throughout the Spanish Golden Age, this palace acted as a sieve for new artistic tastes from Italy. Sevillians first knew them thanks to the marble pieces brought from Genova five hundred years ago by the I Marquis of Tarifa from his pilgrimage to Jerusalem, which eventually gave its name to the palace. Then, later on, new artistic trends were revealed to the city’s citizens in the extraordinary sculptures and paintings collected and still seen within, brought by two of the descendants of the Marquis, the I and III Duke of Alcalá, while acting as viceroys of Naples.
Due to its spatial organization, architectural quality and richness in decoration, this building became the canonical model of Andalusian civil architecture and the pattern of Sevillian palaces.
The origins of Riudabella go back to prehistoric times, as evidenced by the existence of different sites in the area. The beginning of the building is located in the Iberian period, since in this location an Iberian defensive tower was found. Later in this same building there are different references to the settlement of a considerable Roman villa.
Towards century XII, after the Saracen occupation, Ramón Berenguer IV reconquests these territories and fields for the monks of the Cisternian orden who founded the Monastery of Santa Maria de Poblet, and were in charge to develop different farms dedicated to the agricultural operation and the care of its surroundings.
Between the thirteenth and sixteenth centuries, Riudabella becomes an important "farmhouse" where they build on the existing elements, a fortified farmhouse with different rooms dedicated to accommodation, prayer and agricultural work by monks such as the cultivation of the vineyard and the elaboration of wine, honey and saffron. That explains the existence in the premises of an important "Celler" or winery of the time.
In the fifteenth century the abbot Delgado made several buildings and a chapel. Throughout the sixteenth-eighteenth centuries the monks made improvements.
During the period of the confiscation of Mendizábal, Pedro Gil i Babot, father of the great grandfather of the current owner, bought the farmhouse. The restoration was made during 1860 and it was when the buildings were rebuilt with a neo-medieval style, turning Riudabella into a castle.
It started as an agricultural farm and summer residence of the family, for private use, but over the years, the new concerns of society as well as economic changes in general, have made the family rethink and decide to open our home to the public,to be able to preserve it and face the costly maintenance that this type of buildings imply.
In that sense, it seemed more appropriate to open a topic "rural tourism" because of the unique environment in which the Castell de Riudabella is located. We started in 1992 with an apartment for 6 people in a wing of the castle and little by little we were adapting the adjoining facilities to provide pool and garden service.
Then we opened another apartament for 2 people.
With this idea, we continue working at this time. Our dream, would be to turn the Castell de Riudabella into a landmark of historical tourism, with a maximum of 20 people staying in apartments for 2/4 pax. located in different places outside the main building (garages, stables, huts ...) and keep the main building it to give special meals, hold events and meetings.
We also offer our guests the opportunity of a private guided tour of the castle with an explanation of its history and that of our family.
We have also adapted some rooms in the old barn, to offer them to celebrate weddings, events, business meetings... and thus expand the offer.
Our last great milestone will be to recover the old romantic garden and include it in our tourist offer and enjoy a privileged environment
Located in the center of the town, it is an ancient Islamic fortress from the 11th century. Next to it is the XIV century Torre del Homenaje, at the entrance door of which are the stone shields of the Order of Santiago and the Figueroa family.
It served as the residence of the commanders of the Order of Santiago during the 13th to 16th centuries. In medieval times, the population extended at the foot of the fortress, in the neighborhood of Hell, comprising the council square, and the parish church, all that urban complex was surrounded by a wall.
In the second half of the 14th century it was renovated to reinforce its outer defensive elements and the keep.
In the early years of the 16th century, Commander Rodrigo Manrique adapted the fortress to more courteous ways of life, endowing it with a colonnaded parade ground with a wooden roof and a double gallery. Its capitals are in the Gothic style and all its interior corridors have been preserved. A beautiful Gothic-style window located in the center of the fortress presided over the main castle hall. The entire fortress was crenellated and roofed, the roofs being one of the most typical architectural elements of this characteristic monument of all the castles of Santiago located in the Sierra del Segura region.
Currently the Castle of Yeste is renovated and rehabilitated. Inside we can find an Interpretation Center "Tierra de Frontera", created by the Romeros de San Bartolomé Association, directed by Luis Llopis. It is made up of several medieval rooms: a projection room, a room for the Santiago commission, an urban planning room, a weapons room, a nature and repopulation room, and a Muslim room.
And in its old dungeons, now rehabilitated, there is an ethnological museum, which contains tools donated by the residents of Yeste in each of its sections, such as agriculture, livestock, beekeeping. Others like the house and traditional utensils show the customs and traditions of the town of Yeste.
The Condestable Dávalos Castle is temporarily closed due to the emergency situation caused by Covid-19.
The Condestable Dávalos Castle has been a historical and artistic monument since 1931. It was built between 1395 and 1422 by Ruy López Dávalos, in granite stone, with a square floor plan, and four towers on each corner. Its most characteristic element is the Homage Tower, with a rectangular floor plan, 26 meters high, with round arch doors and windows and defensive balconies. The Castle has a parade ground surrounded by the wall, which originally housed the servants' quarters, stables, warehouses and kitchens. The Homage Tower was the nobility residence.
The Condestable Dávalos Castle was the residence of important people in the history of Spain, such as Rodrigo Alonso de Pimentel or Doña Juana de Pimentel, who received the castle as part of her dowry for her marriage to Don Alvaro de Luna, and for whom the Castle receives the nickname "Castillo de la Triste Condesa".
Until the 18th century, Condestable Dávalos Castle was the residence of the Dukes of Infantado, until it became the property of Don Luis de Borbón, who abandoned it because he considered it was not a worthy place to make it his residence, which is why he began the construction of a Palace, which became his residence, and which also has a BIC declaration.
During the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries the castle was used for different purposes: prison, cemetery, warehouse, and so on. It is currently owned by the Arenas de San Pedro Town Hall, and since 2006 it has been the most emblematic, touristic and cultural site in the town, after being fully restored.
The Homage Tower has 4 floors where you can find: The Condestable Dávalos Castle Information Office, the Conference Room, the Medieval Room, the Souvenir Shop and the Exhibition Hall.
The Conference Room is also used to celebrate weddings and cultural or musical events. The Exhibition Hall houses the permanent exhibition of the local painter Manuel Aznar. From the Homage Tower you can access the adarve that surrounds the entire parade ground to enjoy spectacular views of the town and the Gredos Mountains.
The parade ground is the perfect place to hold summer concerts, local folklore festival performances, theatre performances, and specialty fairs.
The fortress began to be built in the middle of the 9th century during the splendour period of the caliphate of Cordoba, its construction being completed in the middle of 13th century by the knights of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, over 350 years of uninterrupted construction and since then three different castles can be visited in a single building.
The order made it the capital of an extensive priory. The cession of the castle and its alfóz was made in 1183 by Alfonso VIII to the knights, although the fortress had been already reconquered by Alfonso VI, exactly one hundred year before, being the place of constant war, it was lost going from Christians to Muslims repeatedly so that finally moving to the kingdom of Castile.
The enlargements and reforms of the castle continued throughout the centuries to adapt gradually to the uses and customs of each era, providing it with a archive, chapel, chapterhouse, water cisterns, powerful defenses (it was necessary to break 7 doors to access to the central core of the strength and the average thickness of its walls is 4.5 meters and the height of its towers of 30 meters, which together with its strategic position, gave it an impregnable aspect).
Its last extension was made in the XVII century with the intention of housing a new hermitage. The fortress remained inhabited until the beginning of the 19th century. In the year 1813 the building was blown up by Napoleon's troops and left in ruins. In 1837 Mendizábal expropriate the castle to be finally acquired by the City Council in 1962.
It is currently in the rehabilitation phase having recovered 50% of the castle. Today it is possible to visit two of three water cisterns, gallery, archives shed, hermitage, chapterhouse, albarrana tower, terraces, garden, barbican and the steps of the round, being used for theatrical performances and cultural events.
The castle is on a mountain in the middle of a valley.
It controls the region of Els Ports, a large territory of more than 1000 km2 that was set in the Islamic era. This landscape is approximately what you can see from the highest point of the castle (Plaza de armas). It is in Islamic era (7-14-1231) when the castle takes over from Lesera, the Iberian Roman city in the current term of Forcall, as a center of the region. In this period (1084) is when The Cid arrives, who was at the service of the Muslim king of Zaragoza.
The importance of the castle during the Christian era is given by its location in the geographical center of the Crown of Aragon. Moreover, the castle was the only fortress under the control of Aragon Crown in many kilometers around, because all the near territory was under military control. Jaime I el Conquistador said that the castle was worth as much as a county and that it could only be in the hands of the King.
It has gone through a thousand vicissitudes and countless wars: Unión wars, (s.XV), Las Germanías (XVI), war of succession (XVIII), Francés war (XIX) and three Carlist wars, the first one was the most important war (1833-1840). In this period appears the General Cabrera who ruled the castle and Morella as a small state at the end of the war.After the three Carlist wars, the castle and Saint Francesc Convent were controlled by the Otumba infantry regiment with 300 soldiers until 1911 when they leave the square.
So, the castle history covers from the Neolithic Age where there were already settlements until well into the 20th century.The history of the castle is linked to the history of Spain.
It is National historic monument from 4th July 1931.
- Download the Audioguide App from your mobile device by clicking the following icon
At the beginning of the 11th century there is evidence of a farmhouse called Itaba in what is now Teba. A settlement without fortification that was within the jurisdiction of Takurunna (Ronda). The fortress as such began to be built in the 13th century, as a consequence of the Castilian push.
More than a dozen towers flank the perimeter walls that surround and adapt to the mountain. All but two are quadrangular in plan. One has a circular floor plan and the other is a whitewashed tower that protects the outside of the main door, which has eight sides. At the top of the military enclosure, the fortress stands, a construction of great architectural magnitude, with powerful walls, the remains of rooms, a central courtyard and the great tower that presides over the entire complex.
The fortress of Teba was originally an Almohad construction. However, its strategic importance during the border war and later as the seat of the County of Theba meant that it was constantly being renovated and extended. However, after the use of the fortress by the Napoleonic troops, the castle served as a stone quarry for the constructions of the new Villa of Teba.
The main part of the Castle of the Star was, without a doubt, the fortress and the homage tower. A palace of which only the skeleton remains because of the Napoleonic garrisons that destroyed it. The tower, however, conserves a good part of its original structure and, although the ashlars carved into the doors, windows and corners were plundered, it is still the best example of the Middle Ages in the Guadalteba region and the province of Malaga.
The great fortress of La Estrella kept the military garrisons inside and numerous families who lived protected within its walls. Those responsible lived, however, in the Alcazar (a castle within a castle). Its thick walls, its small doors and its numerous windows favoured the defence and the exercise of coercion (the surveillance and control of their own and of the territory). Inside, there were kitchens, workshops, warehouses, cisterns and inside the large tower, with four floors (eight rooms) and a large terrace, the dwelling of the warden or lord of the fortress.
The Infante Don Luis de Borbón Palace is temporarily closed due to the emergency situation caused by Covid-19.
The Infante Don Luis de Borbón Palace was a project executed by the Thomas brothers, but commissioned to the architect Ventura Rodríguez, which remained unfinished after the death of the Infante Don Luis de Borbón. Only the right wing of the palace and a part of the main facade could be built. It has a monumental portico of Roman inspiration, soberly decorated in the English neoclassical style.
The Infante Don Luis de Borbón Palace has been declared an asset of cultural interest (according to its Spanish acronym, BIC) in 2012. The Palace has 3 floors, which can be accessed from the portico and a large entrance hall that houses a large imperial-style staircase located in a double height space covered by a vault and delimited by arches and balconies around it.
The years that the Infante Don Luis de Borbón lived in this palace were years of cultural splendor. The Infante's life revolved around art, and he is considered one of the most important Spanish patrons, as well as a great collector. He obtained one of the most important and best equipped science libraries, especially in botany and zoology, with his extensive art collection and a Natural History Cabinet, which made it possible for Arenas to be at the forefront of his time.
Among the great figures who spent time in this palace were the composer Luigi Boccherini and the painter Francisco de Goya, who spent three summers in Arenas de San Pedro painting family pictures.
The Infante Don Luis de Borbón died in Arenas de San Pedro on August 7, 1785, which marked the end of the Infante's court in the town, the abandonment of his palace, and its almost total dismantling. Between 1785 and 1796, the palace was used as a barracks and years later it was occupied by Napoleon's troops, serving as a fortress, until it became a Catholic seminary in the 19th century.
In 1989 the City Council of Arenas de San Pedro acquired the Infante Don Luis de Borbón Palace, and began the work of revaluation and rehabilitation of the building and its gardens. The palace was not only configured as a cultural container, but was also provided with structural and aesthetic improvements, which makes it today one of the most representative emblems of this town, and a cultural and tourist reference for foreigners and outsiders.
Since 2018 the palace has been home to the Gredos Painting Awards Museum. It also hosts events with many years of importance: such as the Luigi Boccherini Festival, the “Palace Days”, Exhibitions, Festivals and Concerts. Undoubtedly, all the events obey to a calendar that tries to remember the golden years of the Court of Infante Don Luis de Borbón.
The current castle of Puebla de Sanabria was built on the same site as the XIII century castle. Of this previous site, few data are available, since its scarce remains have only allowed to influence its plant. Some historians have wanted to see as the only fortification before the current one a strong tower, known as "Losada", however, the majority tend to think that the Plenomedieval construction was a castle on the same site and similar in size to the current one.
It belongs to the group of castles with a clear relationship with the power for the benefit of noble families that in certain circumstances supported the monarchs in their companies. Arrived at the hands of the III Count of Benavente, Alonso Pimentel, it is possible to assume that the new castle began towards the middle of the XV century, as can be deduced from his testament, dated in 1455.
This could be undertaken by the IV Count, Rodrigo Alonso de Pimentel with his wife María Pacheco, who between 1477 and 1482 will build most of the work. Although to these corresponds most of the works of first building, it must have been his successors, Alonso de Pimentel and Ana de Velasco, who would finish the works definitively.
Nowdays the castle is one of the most visited monuments in the province of Zamora, with more than 60.000 visitors in 2019.
Haven't you found what you expected?
Search again with the map of castles and routes!