Monforte de Lemos Homage Tower

Conjunto monumental San Vicente del Pino (Monforte de Lemos)

Cultural Visit

The homage tower in Monforte de Lemos is part of the historical-artistic-monumental complex of San Vicente del Pino together with the Benedictine Monastery of San Vicente del Pino and the Condal Palace. This monumental complex is located on the top of San Vicente`s hill, located in the center of the village of Monforte.

This castle dates from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and is the highlest medieval tower in Galicia with just over 30 meters. It is characterized by having an almost square plant and having walls that can reach up to 3,5 meters thick in some points.

Inside the tower you can see all Kinds of furniture such as chests, cabinets, tables and chairs with the coat of arms of the old families of Lemos. The castle has four floors. The upper floor is finished by a set of successful machicolations and battlements. The basement was a storage place for food and water, as well as an emergency exit in the event of a siege.

The construction history of the building comprises two phases. The oldest, from the XII-XIV centuries, comprises the East face, a part of the South and a North corner. The other part, built between 1470 and 1485 after being destroyed between 1467 and 1469 because of the Great Irmandiña War, covers the West face and a part of the South and the North.

To conclude, note that Monforte´s Homage Tower had three functions in antiquity. The first and most important was to serve as a defense, the second to serve as residence for the Counts of Lemos and the third to honor and pay homage to the Counts themselves.

Schedule

  • Summer,  from June 15 to September 15/:
    • Everyday from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 20:00.
  • Winter: Saturdays, Sundays and holidays
    • From 11:00 to 13:30 and from 16:30 to 18:30.

Group visits are offered by arranging an appointment at the Tourist Office.

Location

Address:

Monumental complex San Vicente del Pino

Luis de Góngora y Argote Square - Monforte de Lemos (Lugo)

How to get there:

Its main access is N.120 and the Lalín-Monforte-Lugo corridor (CG-2.1 and CG-2.2), by Roberto Baamonde Street, then Calle Real to Plaza Luis de Góngora y Argote, to San Vicente hill where the whole monumental complex is located: National Parador of Tourism, Church of San Vicente.

×