Castillo de Monterrei, s/n 32618 Monterrei Ourense
What to do
Verín is a lovely town in the southeast of the province of Ourense, on the banks of the Támega River. In addition to the medieval fortress of Monterrei (opposite the Parador), other areas of interest include La Merced Square, the spring at Cabreiroá, San Lázaro Chapel, Viriato Square, the avenue along the Támega River, La Alameda Gardens, El Rey Square and the Main Square.
The town was originally a Roman villa. During the medieval period, the villa lost its dominance and Monterrey became the focal point of the territory, with life in the district revolving around its counts and lords. It was a peaceful farming town in the Middle Ages, although often caught up in the military conflicts of the successive rulers of Monterrey, as well as border disputes between Spain and Portugal.
Details and Location
What to do
- Visit and trails in Invernadeiro Nature Reserve (40 km). Advance permission is required (48-hour minimum) from the Xunta de Galicia (Government of Galicia) to enter the reserve.
- Tour and tastings at Monterrei Designation of Origin wineries (advance reservations).
- MTB trails in Verín and the district.
- Equestrian sports (inquire at the Parador).
- Hiking trails.
- Golfing in Portugal.
- Tour of the historic quarter of Verín.
- Way of St. James and Vía de la Plata Route.